Friday, May 11, 2012

The Cane Continues


As the season of the cane wanes, and I become less reliant upon it, while I can’t say I’ll miss it, I will notice it’s being gone.

People have been much kinder to me because of it. Amazingly, I have had doors held open for me; I have been let in front of people in lines. The things you think someone might do for an older person that they never do, will work for a handicapped one.

It is an interesting position to be in and yet I can’t wait to leave it.

The pain is not yet gone and my biggest problem is my reflexes. Because quick movements seem to twist my right knee, it’s hard not to make them. I need to become anti intuitive and only move when I think about it. My problems seem to be reactive. A car comes too near me on a parking lot and my leg decides to twist out of the way, leaving me in pain.

I have to let this one play out. My wife has been very helpful and has been walking Max in the mornings (my job) and has taken out the trash. There is a gradual improvement each day, and driving the car is getting easier, as I can once again drive with my right foot rather than the two foot drive, which is scary.

I look forward to the immediate future. My lawn mowing help comes tomorrow, so I don’t have that fear. The weekend is beautiful and I hope to see the outside and enjoy the weather.

I am currently deciding on the best story to tell about my leg when people ask. To say it was caused by strain or old age and weight, is a dumb story with not much sympathy involved.

 I met a guy a few years ago who was pretty badly beat up and had a large cast. He said he fell down a mountain in Peru. This is a great story!

When I broke my ankle in 2001, it was taking out the trash. This was a dumb story!

I think my leg injury should be falling off of a skate or snow board, that’s cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment