Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It should be a big birthday



My first child,in the early 60's
I remember when my first child was born, I was so young (20) that I thought, “My God! When I’m 70 he’ll be 50!” That thought has crept up into my head along with my thinking, “I wonder if I’ll live long enough to see my daughters’ graduate high school?” Given that they were born after I was 50!
Now, that my birthday is approaching, I realized my son would be 50. He told me he wanted no big deals made about his birthday, and I have no party to attend. I was disappointed, but just because I pictured something 50 years ago, does not mean it should be. I can deal with the disappointment.

So, I happily worked on an appropriate gift. While it isn’t a large or an overwhelming gift, it is a food gift that has some meaning to our families, and I thought he and his family would enjoy it. I have arranged for it to be delivered on Thursday of this week, his birthday being on Sunday.
I was worried he would go away to avoid a birthday event, so I emailed him to let him know it was coming on Thursday and if he wasn’t around, he should make some arrangements for retrieval.

I received an email from my son. “Dad, you do know it’s my 49th birthday don’t you, not my 50th?”
Oh My God! I was so focused on the same year that I failed to notice his birthday is in December and mine is in January! Next year we will reach that milestone!

My son and his family are receiving a very nice Holiday Gift this year. I wonder what I‘ll do next year when he finally turns 50!

No comments:

Post a Comment