Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Christmas Cruise




If you know me at all, you know I’m not getting on any cruise to anywhere. However, yesterday was interesting.
I had arranged for my daughter’s flight home for Christmas from Montreal to Toronto, with the idea that we’d pick her up at the airport. I timed it well, making sure she would be coming in at mid-day, so as to avoid much of the traffic problems associated with Toronto traveling. She was scheduled to come in at 11:40 a.m., giving us an easy commute leaving a bit after 10.

My wife was concerned about arrival timing, so she checked with the airlines a bit before we left for the airport, only to find out I’d scheduled her for the Island Airport, Toronto’s City Airport. I had paid no attention to the airport as she was flying on Air Canada and as far as I knew (the problem) they use Pierson Airport. The Island Airport is used only by Porter Airlines (or so I imagined).

I ran to the computer and double checked, and of course she was correct. I had never been to that airport, and although I kind of knew where it was, I went to MapQuest for directions. It was simple and the same distance as Pierson but should be an easier commute. Parking was a bit weird, as the information available was sketchy, and I couldn’t quite figure out what to do. It did say there was parking on Stadium, but limited parking at the airport was available.

It was a short 45 minutes in minimal traffic to get there, thank God, and we followed the directions which made me pass Stadium and go to the airport and discover we couldn’t park as there were no spaces left. After a few confusing minutes, we backtracked to Stadium and found easy access parking.

After we park we walk around an easy to find pathway to the two level boat entrance, as the Island Airport is on an Island. The ferry ride takes only a few minutes and at 121 meters (about 400 feet), it is in fact one of the shortest ferry trips in the world. It leaves about every 15 minutes. The ride is free for walkers, who enter on the second floor, and there is a charge if you come in a car, and cars use the first floor.

We had enough time to park the car, walk to the ferry, meet our daughter, and we all took the ferry back.

I explained to my daughter who had never been here before as well, that this was our family Christmas Cruise, 400 feet of sheer boating exhilaration.

2 comments:

  1. I know you...... but didnt know you wouldnt go on a cruise longer than 400 feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Toronto, about 35 years ago, Toronto Island was sort of a white elephant. There were a few houses there, and a ferry, and people occasionally went there to picnic, but it wasn't used much, and there were plenty of other places to picnic. And there was a ferry there then, but I don't think it carried cars.

    It seems like a good place to put an airport. On the whole, Toronto is a sensible place.

    ReplyDelete