Friday, April 8, 2011

I Dreamed I Saw Jackson Browne Last Night


OK, old folkies, I didn’t dream I saw Jackson Browne last night, I did see him! However, for the old folkies in the audience, the title relates to “I Dreamed I Saw Joe Hill Last Night”, an IWW favourite.

What a fantastic evening! My wife and I were so pleased by an evening of great music, so well done, and by Jackson Browne on his “Solo Acoustic Tour”.

There he was, on stage with 17 guitars and a keyboard, to do an evening of music for devoted fans. Most of them were old, or at least gray haired, and as he said, his “songs were often from the 60’s, and if you remember the 60’s, you probably weren’t there”.

He has no set list as such, but makes it up as he goes along, as the spirit moves him. Fans screamed out song favourites for him to sing and he tried to cover what he could, and of course did a number of logical choices. The set included The Barricades of Heaven, Giving That Heaven away ,Jamaica Say You Will, Rosie, Don’t Let Us Get Sick and Life'll Kill Ya (Warren Zevon covers), For Everyman ,Sky Blue and Black, These Days ,Rock Me on the Water, Your Bright Baby Blues, In the Shape of a Heart ,Shaky Town, The Pretender, Running on Empty, Before the Deluge and some others I can’t remember.

I was moved emotionally, and went back in time to a degree. It was current and it was nostalgic all at the same time.

"If you’ve taken in one of Jackson Browne’s solo acoustic performances, you’re well aware of the distinct pleasure of that experience. A visceral energy fills the concert hall – an altogether different vibe than that of a show with a full band – where the audience is collectively invested and steeped in each song." Blog Critics

What a great musician! His guitar playing and his keyboard were wonderful, and he was first to admit that he forgot lyrics, screwed up verses and even had to work on tunes every now and then but after writing more than 170 songs, I think it would be easy to screw up. It’s the flaws and the stories that make it real!

Years ago he wrote a song, “Rosie”. I didn’t know it but texted my daughter Rosie to tell her about it as we were pleased. In the morning I sent the following email to my daughter, subject:

Obsession #1:

Rosie**** (Jackson Browne)

She was standing at the load-in when the trucks rolled up


She was sniffing all around like a half-grown female pup


She wasn't hard to talk to, looked like she had nowhere to go


So I gave her a pass so she could get in to see the show.


I sat her down right next to me and I got her a beer


While I mixed that sound on the stage so the band could hear


The more I watched her watch me play, the less I thought of to say


And when they walked offstage the drummer swept that girl away.


Chorus:


Rosie, you're all right, you wear my ring


When you hold me tight, Rosie, that's my thing


When you turn out the light I got to hand it to me


Looks like it's me and you again tonight, Rosie.


Well, I guess I might have known from the start she'd come for a star


But I told my imagination not to run too far


Of all the times that I've been burned, by now you'd think I'd learn


That it's who you look like, not who you are.


A few minutes later I sent the following email with a YouTube link subject: Obsession #2-


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgOuWnlTJ7Y

Two minutes later I emailed my daughter the following, subject: Obsession #3-


I just listened to it and discovered this song is about masturbation! Forget the obsession!

No comments:

Post a Comment