Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Healthy Choices


So it’s the morning (a few days ago) and I come down to put away the dishes, make coffee and have some breakfast. My decision was to make something simple for myself, and a good healthy choice would be peanut butter on a toasted whole wheat pita. Not a problem.

As I went toi get the peanut butter I thought about it and realized that instead of getting my peanut butter from the cabinet, in the frig we have a natural peanut butter, crunchy and good, and it’s the kind that doesn’t separate but it has no additives. Great, I’ll go there.

My right arm is not working well since the fall I described last week, and I am teaching myself to be left handed while the healing process works. I reached into the frig for the peanut butter and moved the Kefir out of the way.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Kefir is a fermented milk drink that originated with shepherds of the North Caucasus region, who discovered that fresh milk carried in leather pouches would occasionally ferment into an effervescent beverage. It is prepared by inoculating cow, goat, or sheep's milk with kefir grains. Traditional kefir was made in skin bags that were hung near a doorway; the bag would be knocked by anyone passing through the doorway to help keep the milk and kefir grains well mixed.


When I moved the kefir it flew out of the fridge, hit the bottom ledge of the fridge, opened and spilled its contents all over the fridge and floor.

I stood there in terror. With bad knees, a bad arm and a wife who would wake up soon I scrambled around trying to figure a cleanup that would work.

When she finally came down, even though I did a pretty good job, I was stomped to death by her wrath. I had destroyed the kefir (like I cared) , I had created a giant mess (I did try and clean it up) and I must be suffering from some terminal disease because I keep dropping things which she continued to list as the time wore on. I had no comeback. I was sorry. I would go get more kefir. I will never try and eat anything healthy again.

I am eating “normal” peanut butter from now on which lives in a cabinet four feet off the ground, behind a door and in front.

2 comments: