Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Incredible Shrinking Man


When I was 13 I made it to 6’1 ½”. By the time I was 16, I was 6’ 3” and I stopped growing. This was OK, because that clearly was enough. My sons never made it that far, and the tallest one was 6’ 2”, a reasonable size for anyone to be.

A few years ago I was with my oldest son and as we were talking it occurred to me he had grown. How tall he was! I asked him about growing and when it had happened. He assured me he had not grown since he was a kid. It was then that it began to sink in, I was shrinking!

I made it to the Doctors soon after that and discovered I was 6’1½”, and my world began to crumble. I remember my father getting smaller, or so he said, but I never really believed him. It does happen.

Now I never talk about weight, a touchy subject with me, but meaningful here.

I had gone on a diet a few years ago and lost more than 30 pounds. When I got there, I weighed the same as I had the day I was married in 1987 (I was still way overweight!). However, my clothing from those times would never have fit. I was dumbfounded. Then I realized that as you get shorter you get wider!

Lately I have gained a lot of weight, I thought. I knew the original 30 pounds had come back but I was now scared that I’d gained more than ever. My clothing is not fitting and the sizes I need don’t come in stores made for people, I have to go to Omar the Tentmaker for pants!

I never weigh myself if I don’t have to. I have a doctor’s scale but it is off limits usually. I did, however, go to the doctors for a checkup and the assistant weighed me and measured my height. I never asked the weight, I couldn’t stand it but I have weighed myself yesterday to verify my worst fears.

The assistant said I was 6’2 3/4” tall, but she was young and Canadian, and she really only understands metric. I looked at her measurements, knowing she had to be wrong because I could not have grown despite my desires, and she thought 70” was 6 feet!


No, I was 6’ 3/4” tall! I had shrunk another ¾”!

Now the weight issue began to make more sense. I weighed myself, and while I’m not proud of my accomplishments, I don’t weight as much as I did when I went on the diet. I just grew wider by shrinkage!

This all begins to sound like a Seinfeld plot!

I am the Incredible Shrinking Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment