Saturday, July 24, 2010

Another Life Drawing Experience

In the late 60’s I was teaching a high school drawing and painting class on Saturdays and in the summer. This was in addition to my regular secondary school duties and set the path I would follow for my whole life, although it was not clear at that stage what I would eventually end up doing.


In a particular class one term, I had a young man who was an exceptional student, who at sixteen seemed very mature and on his way to an art career. Of course, at this juncture, I have no idea what his name was nor what he ever did with his life, but at the time I was very impressed and wanted to help him along.

The opportunity existed, I surmised, to attend an alumni life drawing session on Saturdays, where registered alumni would come in and draw the model without the benefit (or need) of instruction. This goes on in most art schools, as it does for us now, and the only costs associated with it are the cost of the model.

I thought that a life drawing experience would be just the thing this young man needed, but remembering my own introduction to life drawing (see My First Nude Model, July, 2009 post on this blog), I wanted to make his introduction as easy as possible.

I spoke with the authorities (the administration of the school) to see if this could be done and it was approved. I spoke with the student and asked him to discuss this with his parents and see if it was OK with them, which was fine, as we did not need releases etc. in those days. Everything was approved.

On the Saturday this was to happen, I was going to speak with the first alumna who was available, but since my class was starting, I held off, but of course went in and spoke with the model. I explained the situation and she was fine with it, and encouraged his participation.

All was set and my class started. I had them together to go over something or another for a while as I tend to “go on” a bit, and about a half an hour after the start, I took the student to the room where the model was posing for the alumni. I sent him in with a sketch pad and pencils and charcoal and instructions and a pep talk etc. Off he went and I was like a proud Papa sending his kid off to school for the first time. He opened the door and went inside.

In about two hours I returned to the room to get the student and see what he had done. My goal was of course to ease him into a life drawing experience without the trauma of facing the nude model for the first time, in the company of experienced strangers who would pose the model, keep time and know what to do.

Of course, life doesn’t work that way!

No students (alumni) had shown up for the class! He walked in alone to the room with his art supplies, a set up easel and a nude model, and he was alone!

Thank God the model was briefed in advance by me, and was a really good model and person. She set up the poses, taught him to keep time for her, and gave him an excellent drawing experience. She went over the drawings with him at intervals, and he did a great job! I was amazed by what had happened, and thanked her profusely. She was his model and teacher, and I imagine he has never forgotten the experience and as you can see, neither have I.

No comments:

Post a Comment