Friday, February 1, 2013

A Valentines Memory (not so good)


I was living many years ago in a small, semi-detached home in downtown Birmingham, Michigan, long since torn down to make way for the new. I was newly separated and enjoying my bachelor life. It was about this same time of year, but the weather was pretty good, a mild kind of day.

I was upstairs in my bedroom, the college dorm room I never had as a commuter student, with my single mattress on the floor. I was “entertaining” a young lady, and while we were in the midst of an inter- coital moment I heard a banging at my door. I don’t think I had an actual bell, so banging was what it was.

I knew that I didn’t want to be interrupted and that my car and my friend’s car were both parked outside. I did live however, downtown, so that one could easily walk to shopping, and since it was after work hours, about 5:00 p.m., I could easily not be home. My friend’s car was not noticeable, unless you knew her, so we were safe from anyone knowing we were there. My door also was locked, thankfully, because the person at the door tried the lock.

I heard my name being called out and I froze. I knew who it was. At my door was a young lady I was dating at the time, and there was no way I could explain being in here with another, unless we were downstairs dressed and sitting in the living room drinking tea.

I jumped up and crouched (we were after all quite naked) and looked out of the window to confirm my suspicions. I saw her car outside and knew I was caught!

My answer was to explain to my companion that the young woman at my door was a sort of stalker who was pestering me, and it was best if we left her alone and she would eventually go away. As luck would have it, she eventually went away and I was left with a lame excuse and had a devil of a tiome trying to reset the mood of a few minutes before.

Later that evening, my partner left, and we walked to the door together.

Pinned to my door was a 3’ Valentines heart and a box of chocolates was placed on my door stoop.

I felt very bad. First of all my partner realized that perhaps I had minimised the relationship with the mystery stalker and my valentine guest needed a lot of explaining to get me out of the situation.

Being single after 20 years plus took a lot of learning. I had no excuses, I just screwed up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment