Monday, August 27, 2012

A time for us all to grow up!


Photo from 2007
My son called and asked how many times in a lifetime a person can be an “empty nester”?

I’m on my second time around, with my youngest daughter off to Ryerson University yesterday and my older daughter back to Montreal (McGill) this morning.

In spite of my daughter’s laughter at my maudlin behavior, I did not shed tears yesterday, even if it was on purpose. I am truly glad to see them off on a dream. It had become a tedious journey by this point, and I’d seem so many of these that I am in a hurry to see the rest of the story.

I am not trying to rush history, I just am anxious to see the developments.

The Ryerson staff was fantastic in their ability to help us all through the moving in process. There were 980 students moving in on a Sunday in downtown Toronto and it took a huge amount of help to get us all in. There were a ton of very helpful police there to keep the traffic moving. My daughter has a beautiful apartment she’s sharing with three others and I was very pleased.

My wife and daughter on their way to Montreal today to get her back to her place so she can be available to help with freshman orientation to the university. Hopefully my wife will get a day to see a museum and do some shopping before she returns.

Max, our dog, and I, will try on empty nesting together. He may have the hardest time with this out of all of us. He’s had us all here all summer and this time it may not be explainable.

My youngest and two of her new roommates sat around last night showing each other their dog photos on their phones and there were tears to be spent.

Time for us all to grow up!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment