Monday, September 5, 2011

It's Back to the Peignoir Set

On June 2, 2009, in a group of stories I had written I included:
I remember having a friend (a girl) and being at her house. This would have been in the 50’s. I was never there by myself; it was always with a small group, as she was going out with a high school friend. The unusual thing about this was her parents.

I know, like all parents, we have some impact on our kids’ friends. I look fondly back on my memories of some of my friends’ parents, and not so fondly on others. However, this girl had a unique family.

Her mother (we were always there at night) would always appear in a peignoir set. In those days, this was a night gown and robe, sort of a sheer thing, usually reserved for sexy fashion shots and late night trysts. It’s what young women wore on their honeymoon night. Her father, as the evening wore on, would calmly remove his pants and prance about in his shorts and an undershirt or t-shirt for a while and they would say they were going off to bed, and they would.

We were always startled!


I just sent this story to my old high school with whom I had just reconnected. He said, “I luv it! Your recollections of them are exactly right.

I remember some dinner parties they had where guests stayed maybe a bit too long (in his opinion, at least). He would disappear for a few moments and then return to the living room in his pyjamas.

They always spent all day Sundays in bed. On Saturday nights, when their daughter and I were hooking up in the den, he would stand outside the door, in the hallway out of view, and call, "It's getting late," and she would answer, "OK, Daddy"-- in a "strained" voice (LMAO!)-- and then she would ignore him till we finished.

They were very self-involved people, and not good parents to her except in material ways-- clothes and jewellery. One summer when she was working in their store, it was her birthday and they were all scheduled to go out to dinner to celebrate when the store closed. But some business associates (or friends maybe?) invited them out for the afternoon and evening, so they sent her up the street to their other store on an errand, and when she got back a few minutes later, they were gone…


No comments:

Post a Comment