Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Salad Days

In the old days, my favourite restaurant in Baltimore was the Chesapeake, a great sea food restaurant of the past. When we would have a lunch there, on someone’s expense account, I would order a seafood salad with lots of large shrimp and crab involved. It was amazing, and was $4 . If you wanted blue cheese dressing, it was an additional $.50. That’s “old school” eating. This was the early 70’s, and a $4 salad was a huge amount of money, as I allowed about $2 for lunch at the time.

This morning I went on the scale, a major event for me as I almost never want to see how much I weigh. I knew it would be bad, and it was. I had reached back to an earlier weight level I had hoped I would never see again. So I decided to cut back a bit, before I made a big decision to seriously diet.
I thought I’d like a salad for lunch, and considered all the possibilities. The supermarket salad bar would have been a good one but iy meant going and bringing it back, or eating  in the car, a usually big mess. The local pizza place has a great salad but eating in is dirty and not conducive to eating, so I passed. A local Italian restaurant was good but I thought it would be expensive, because it’s either $7.99 or $9.99 plus a diet coke is $2.75 plus a tip so I thought better about it.

McDonalds has good salad sort of, but they get a bit crazy at lunch and Wendy’s is all right, and is good before 12:45 p.m. when the high school kids arrive.
Not great, but I settled on Wendy’s.

I know they have a half salad but l knew I wanted more and they had a ½ plus something else, but I decided to go with a Spicy Chicken Caesar and a Diet Coke.

It was OK, probably too high in fat and calories, but it was cool and quiet,. My complaint is it’s all so damn expensive! You can see it here, in the attachment, with our awful government HST, a mere 13%!

I know the early 70’s were a long time ago, but when the best salad I can remember cost $4 (plus $.50 for blue cheese dressing), it seems a sacrilege to offer a salad and a coke for more than $11!

I rest my case!

2 comments:

  1. What is HST? I can guess that the ST mean sales tax, but what is the H?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harmonized Sales Tax, a way for both governments, Federal and Provincial to get taxes on most everything! 13%!

    ReplyDelete