Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Manhattan

I came home tonight and after a few minutes I answered the phone. While I was talking my oldest daughter came in, fresh from seeing Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris. She was delighted, as were we, with the film. She fooled around a bit and I got off the phone. She started to gather things together and I wasn’t paying much attention when suddenly, as if out of a dream, my daughter said to me, would you like a Manhattan?”

I stood dumbfounded. “Of course”, I said, not knowing where to turn.  This is so out of character for her, especially coming up with a retro drink at 19. For my US readers, 19 is the legal age in Ontario and it’s 18 in Quebec where my daughter goes to school.

It had been years since i had a Manhattan, and it was great!
Hers was made with Canadian Club, Sweet Vermouth, Bitters and a maraschino cherry in the glass, over ice.

Sitting and drinking cocktails with my daughter at the end of a good day was a milestone for us! I told her old bar story experiences and she was even interested in them, a far cry from our usual non banter.
This was a red letter day, and a little booze goes a long way to cement relationships!

No comments:

Post a Comment