Sunday, September 12, 2010

Writing my blog


The photo is Amy Adams and Chris Messina from the film, “Julie and Julia”.


In “Julie and Julia” There was this scene between Julie and her husband that hit so close to home in relation to my blog writing. The roles are reversed as I am the writer and in the film Julie is the writer, but its way into the film and she just lost a visit from a famous food critic because of rain. They argue and it goes like this:



A-“That was the guy

from The Christian Science Monitor.

It's raining.

And we live in Long Island City

and she's, like, older.

It's mortifying.

C-But on the bright side, more stew for us.

A-Just for once, could you not

look on the bright side?

C-Yeah. Well, it's not the end of the world.

A-I thought, I really did think, I just did.

I thought "book contract."

Me, Judith Jones, happily ever after.

And then we'd have a little money

and we wouldn't live over a pizzeria

for the rest of our lives.

How am I gonna’ explain this?

My readers are gonna’ be really upset.

They were so into it.

C- Your readers are gonna’ be really upset.

A- I never should've told everyone.

C-They'll live.

A-Somehow,

C-your readers will live.

A- Is it bland?

C- Not anymore.

A-Thank you for telling me that.

You almost let me feed Judith Jones

bland boeuf bourguignon.

This is a nightmare.

I told everyone she was coming.

C-They will survive.

And when this year's over,

and I cannot wait until it is,

your readers will somehow

get on with their lives.

A- And I won't, is that what you're saying?

C- I don't know. I have no idea.

I mean, what's gonna happen when

you're no longer the center of the universe?

A-That's just great.

I am finally totally engaged in something.

Okay, maybe I'm being a little narcissistic.

C-A little? On a scale of 10?

A-Okay, a 9.3. But what do you think a blog is?

It's me, me, me day after day.

I thought it'd be fun. How stupid is that?

C-It just turns out to be a lot of

what you call "meltdowns,"

but they don't feel like meltdowns.

They feel like I'm living with

a totally self-absorbed person

who writes this stuff

for a bunch of complete strangers.

And it's supposed to be a big adventure,

but it's not.

It's our life. It's our marriage.

And, here, in this room, it doesn't

feel like an adventure, it feels like shit.

A- It was your idea!

C- I know, I'm so sorry.

What the hell was I thinking?

And I'll tell you something else.

I am not a saint.

A- Yes, you are.

C- No, I'm not!

A- Yes, you are!

C- No, I'm not!

C-And it makes me feel like an asshole

every time you say it!

And do not write about this in your blog.

A- About what?

C- About this fight
I'm outta here.”

And so the husband leaves. It’s a lot more dramatic to watch than it is to read the script, and my situation is not as dire as Julie’s, but I know how she feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment