Monday, September 20, 2010

An Antique Journey


What a journey it must have taken! We can only imagine.

It was shipped to me from San Francisco, California, but where has it been the last 100 years! Surely someone bought it here in Ancaster but where has it been and how did it get to California. Who knows? I love the fact that we’ve brought it home. Ya’ gotta’ love antiques!

Ruby glassware is best known for both Victorian glass, and later Depression glass. The rich ruby color is created using gold, so it is more expensive than other glass colors. Ruby glass is a dark red color similar to the gemstone that it is named for. It was a popular Victorian color that continued to be popular after Victorian times.

Sometimes the red color is added to clear glass by a process called flashing. Flashed glass is clear glass dipped in a colored glass, then pressed or cut.

This glass was produced in late 19th century from about 1891 to 1915, and that was the height of its popularity, and later pieces of ruby flash glass were used as souvenirs and the people and place names were put on them, usually in gold.

*Even though none of you care about my delightful antique purchase, I will Wikipedia the heck out of it and tell you my “facts” anyways.

*(My daughter added this next line to my story when I went upstairs to have dinner and she thought I'd never see it)

No comments:

Post a Comment