Friday, February 27, 2009

Dad grows up a bit at a time

In August, 2007, my girls made arrangements (bought tickets at $35 each) to see Motion City Soundtrack, The Higher and two other bands (the names have escaped me but they were not their favorites as are the first two) in Toronto at a venue (club) called the Opera House, in a somewhat questionable part of the city.

We had agreed to drive them (although I can’t imagine why). There was a major rain storm and it took 2 hours and 15 minutes to get there (and 45 minutes to get home ) and we left them in a line of younger people (bar age, not high school age) and off we went.

My wife and I went out to dinner, toured the area a bit and returned to the neighborhood. We decided to go to Starbucks and wait and we parked and walked. We met a group of drunks having a conversation but did not join as we had no idea what they were saying. We continued to walk and found Starbucks closed. There was a donut shop back a ways and we walked there, and it was in a gas station. What a treat, coffee in the gas station, with a homeless guy in the washroom.

When he left I had to use it and when I left my wife had to use it as the women’s room seemed to be locked.

We then shopped in the drug store and waited for the girls. They stayed to buy t shirts and cd’s for a while and we watched everyone leave and began to panic but they eventually came out, having talked with the lead singer of The Higher who they love. He told them he loved them because they bought t shirts and cd’s. The cd’s were only $5 with the t shirt so it was a good deal anyway. Motion City Soundtrack people are too high up to come out and sign cd’s for fans, I am told.

My little girls grow up and I am tired! I never heard of these groups before!

No comments:

Post a Comment