Monday, March 17, 2014

Postman


Many years ago, while sitting at the home of our Board Chairman, I noticed that above me on the wall a painting of the Van Gogh Postman. He did several of them (I’ve now seen four) but finding one above my head was amazing!

As I stared, I realized the fat paint parts were probably dry, but oil paint, as I had learned as a student, never really dries. So being bold (and having had a few drinks),  I asked if I could touch it. When asked why, I explained about the oil paint and that this would never be in private hands again as it was willed to the Detroit Institute of Art eventually and therefore, what chance would I ever have again to touch it?

I touched it and It did seem dry, even though it looked wet, and scientifically would probably always be wet.

Last Saturday I was at the Cleveland Museum of Art for a Van Gogh show and in front of me, behind glass, was an old friend, the postman! I smiled and walked over and said to the painting, “I’m back, and like I said the last time, I’ll never be able to touch you again!”

No comments:

Post a Comment