Friday, November 8, 2013

Oops! I did it again…


Oops! I did it again… I played with your heart, got lost in the game…

I'm not that innocent…

I said I would stop falling (down, not an in love issue)

Here I was in the morning, on garbage day, going out (way past the garbage take out time, already done) to take Max for a walk. I had taken out the garbage in good, slip-on shoes but used my “regular” big shoes to take Max for a walk. Unfortunately, they had little or no soles left; in fact as they went into the garbage container later on after we saw they had holes in the soles.

I made it to the end of the driveway and here we go again, I fell! I went down on my very bad knee, the one that has its own doctor looking after it, and managed to twist my very bad, totally repaired ankle, broken 12 years ago and full of metal parts.

I lay there in the driveway, unable to get up, hoping nothing was broken and assessing my situation.

Max’s leash was in my left hand and secure. My cell phone was locked in my car (not good) and my wife and daughter were somewhere in the house. I looked around for help, it was 7:15 in the morning, and there was none. I screamed for my wife to no avail. I needed something solid to lift myself up.

I looked around and found “the green bin”. For those of you unaware of a green bin, it’s the raw garbage recycling container that has two wheels and goes out once a week. It is sturdy, and there is no way I can get up without something to hold on to, as my knees went away a long time ago. The green bin was it, providing that nothing was badly broken so I could stand.

The next problem was the bin has two wheels, and if it slides on the wheels, it would fall and would open and I would be hit with an entire bin full of wet garbage. I would be found, lying with my dog on the driveway, while he was eating a bad dinner of leftovers poured all over me!

I had to do something, I was wet and bleeding from my right knee, and I hurt! The green bin was my only choice, and I positioned myself in such a way that it should work. I had to open the top and get my hands over the edge to make sure the weight would hold the thing on the ground and the wheels wouldn’t get moving on me.

I sit here now in my office, hours later, with my knee and my ankle hurting, a bandage on the knee, trying to figure out how not to kill myself the next time I go out! I need to try and be careful. When I took out all the garbage and recycling I was very aware of all of the pitfalls. However, I guess walking Max was such normal activity that I paid less attention.

The doctor says it’s only soft tissue damage.

So, Oops! I did it again….

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment