Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Twice Hurt


 


Sitting quietly at lunch in Subway, the room was almost empty. Besides myself, there was a table of three young guys, in their early 20’s and a table with a youngish couple.

After a few minutes the young woman (of the couple) walked over to the three guys and excused herself, and explained (I could not hear the whole conversation clearly) she and her husband were opening a new business in Dundas, and she wanted to know if they regularly came to Subway in Dundas, or were they mainly a Westdale crowd? She excused herself a number of times for being nosey but wanted to know. They gave her an explanation, missed by me, and she was satisfied.

Clearly she didn’t’ want to hear from the old man as she ignored my presence.

A few minutes later, after I was finished lunch, I got into my car and went to the bulk Barn. I shopped and bought a number of bags of candy items and when asked about my purchases by the young woman at the register, I told her how every moth I brought candy to my regularly scheduled meeting and how much fun it was for people who do not always have candy access, to be able to choose from a whole bunch of items.

She asked what kind of a meeting I attended and I told her a Board Meeting. She apologised for asking because she said, “It may have been an AA meeting or something”.

OK, so here it is, I am ostracised for being an old guy and fingered for maybe being an alcoholic or even a sex addict! This was surely not my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment