Saturday, June 21, 2014

From an email to my sons I sent in 2001; Fooling with the old style TV's...


 

The TV in the basement playroom had seen better days. It was purchased in 1984, and had a convoluted electronic tuning system made for pre-cable type watching. The tuner has been drifting and requiring too much care to get it to work, and since the kids use it mainly, it wasn’t worth keeping or fixing. So, yesterday I bought a 32” TV for the family room, and the exchanges had to be made.

 

The problem started with the fact that the new TV weighed 121 pounds in the box, and even out of the box the weight was 112 lbs. So, the guy at Costco helped me get it on to a cart, and another guy helped me get it in my car. My wife and I moved it to the garage, and then very slowly we made our way into the house and into the family room. Since I don’t have a stereo VCR, the only plugs I needed to do were a VCR regular plug and the electrical plug. Still, we had to stop, almost in mid-air to get the plugs plugged. This was a scream.

 

After that deal was done, I had to move the TV from the family room downstairs to replace the old one. Since this was a few lbs.lighter, I slowly moved it to the stairs and this morning got it downstairs. Next (later) I will move the old one upstairs and to the garage where my wife has assured me that we’ll sell this marvelous piece of equipment in our soon-to-be garage sale. Everything is hooked up and working again.

 

As I finished this morning with the second TV, the moving truck arrived with our inherited stuff from my wife’s cousin’s estate. This was a delivery of 6 items. It was sent as “shipped” rather then “moved”, as we found out yesterday at customs as we had to prove that it was an inheritance so that there would be no duty or taxes. “Shipped” as you can figure means no moving men, just a big truck (18-wheeler) with a driver. No ramps,no lowering bed. Just a guy looking for a loading dock. Thankfully the driver was a nice guy who helped me with the load. As “shipped”’ everything was boxed, labeled, put on a palate and strapped. We had to undo all this and carefully lower each box to the ground and put them in the garage to be dealt with over the weekend.

 

So after moving TV’s and furniture, I was bruised and immediately returned to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment