Monday, August 8, 2011

Freaky Friday Syndrome

I know it’s an old movie and now we have “The Change Up” with the same theme, a body and/or mind changing possibility, where one person becomes another one. The magical event happens when you become your friend, your mother or anything else, and he or she becomes you. This is a fantasy, and one which I was concerned about last Sunday.

My wife and I had gone to Aberfoyle, Ontario for the weekly antique market event. It was extremely hot, and I was unhappy about walking around in the 90 degree+ heat with high humidity, but I did. I found a bottle of water for sale and hydrated. After a while I needed to use the washroom and we quickly found one. My wife told me she would wait for me in and around the area of the steps up to the washroom.
When I was finished, a few minutes later, I returned and my wife was gone. In her place was a local Hamilton artist, a woman of the same age and size as my wife and someone we both know. Aberfoyle is a far piece up the road from where we live, so running into someone we know would be possible but unlikely on such a hot day in the middle of the summer.

For a brief moment I considered the impossible. Could my wife have changed bodies with this woman? Could this be my wife? I sure hope not! This would not have been my fantasy! This was a bit scary!
OK, she is a nice person and if I had to spend the rest of my life with her it would not be a bad thing, but in the movie fantasy, the mind changes, the body remains the same. Here I had different person become my wife. I am sure she would not have wanted to spend her days with me either.

I called over to her, using her real name, and thankfully she was as surprised to see me as I was to see her. My wife arrived after looking at some antiques a few feet away, and I breathed a sigh of relief. I am sure she never considered what I had considered, as she just happened to run onto me and had no idea she had been standing exactly where my wife was standing a few minutes before.

No comments:

Post a Comment