Friday, May 21, 2010

They dreamed of pedophiles sitting on the benches




Ten years ago we were involved in a playground building project at our children’s elementary school.

This was a labor of love, of course, and great care was taken to insure proper equipment was used and proper safety precautions were taken.

It was a huge task and I believe it required raising $40,000, a lot for a school council (PTA) to take on.

One parent worked tirelessly heading up the project and deserved full credit for motivating everyone involved.

It was installed during our second year living here and is a great asset to the neighborhood.

After it was in place, as a casual observer who used the facility, I asked about why there were no benches for parents, grandparents, etc. to sit in while the kids were playing. Frankly I was tired of leaning on things!

I assumed it was because of expenses, and was willing to donate more to insure a place for me!

I learned that our leader and a group of her followers were against benches because they encouraged sitters, who of course must be pedophiles. Pedophiles, it seems, can not lean, so they would not be available to watch kids from a leaning position.

I tried to fight this problem, but had larger problems to battle but that will take another story, which is coming. This one I chose to let sit (the only thing that was sitting) until the parent leader was gone, and the next batch of up and comers figure it out. Now we have benches to sit on.

As I live a block from the place, and walk my dog by there every day, I have yet to identify any criminals, homeless persons or certainly pedophiles sitting on the benches. As far as I know, these benches have not added to an increased crime rate in the neighborhood. They are just nice places to sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment